Workflows to Support GDPR Compliance in Organizations and Businesses

GDPR requirements can be met easily, provided you have effective procedure execution policies in place. As a workflow-based platform, WEBCON BPS makes this process intuitive and convenient to implement.

On May 25, 2018 the most meaningful change in personal data protection was enacted in the European Union: the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). It gives EU citizens more control over their privacy, and provides legal avenues to pursue violators.

 

GDPR: the ultimate procedure execution test for an organization

From a business perspective, implementing the GDPR can be seen as a critical test of an organization's ability to execute procedures effectively. The EU's new privacy rules affect nearly all organizations, regardless of how far along they are in the process of digitalization, and it's their responsibility to comply.

In early 2018, Gartner predicted that by May of 2018 less than 20% of organizations worldwide will have fully complied with GDPR requirements. This forecast leaves the remaining 80% either not ready or unaware of the consequences of failing to abide by the new regulations, which can be severe. This lack of preparation leads Gartner to predict that by 2020 at least 20% of organizations that either deploy content or facilitate collaboration will have been accused of noncompliance.

From the business perspective, the GDPR can be seen as the ultimate test for procedure execution. The regulations apply to all organizations, regardless of how digitalized they are, and it’s their responsibility to comply. In early 2018, Gartner said that by May 2018 less than 20% of all organizations worldwide would have fully complied with the GDPR. This forecast leaves the remaining 80% either not ready, or not aware of the consequences, which are quite severe. However, Gartner points out that by 2020 at least 20% of organizations that deploy content and collaboration services will have been accused of noncompliance of the new regulations

The GDPR is not (just) an IT thing

Personal data, including sensitive personal data, is often spread across a vast number of business processes found within an organization. From sales and marketing, to operations and HR, the proper handling of personal data requires more than a simple band-aid IT solution. Compliance needs to be a company-wide endeavor.

Personal information should be closely tracked, documented, and protected from disclosure by default. In short, organizations are required to make concrete efforts to protect personal information, and be able to prove that they have done so. Organizations must assess the tools at their disposal and identify acceptable solutions from there. An effective way of ensuring GDPR compliance is through the use of a workflow-based system like WEBCON BPS.

 

Assign your LinkedIn Or Microsoft account to read the complete article

Please follow and like us:
RSS
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Leave a Comment





Google Translate »